From: Levi Pearson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 2:57:55 PM
Subject: Re: UVSC BYU U of U etc was"Software Engineering

Dave Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> When you say that MIT's CS program is grounded in practical
> applications, are you referring specifically to the fact that a
> student can complete the MIT CS program without coding anything except
> Lisp? Because that's what came to my mind. Grounded in practical
> applications? I don't think so. Valuable? Absolutely.

I meant this: http://web.mit.edu/facts/mission.html

An excerpt:

"Rogers stressed the pragmatic and practicable. He believed
that professional competence is best fostered by coupling teaching and
research and by focusing attention on real-world problems. Toward this
end, he pioneered the development of the teaching laboratory.

Today MIT is a world-class educational institution. Teaching and
research--with relevance to the practical world as a guiding
principle--continue to be its primary purpose."

What, in particular, do you find impractical about Lisp?  Are Lisp
programs not REAL programs?  When a Lisp program finds the solution to
a problem, is that solution invalidated by the language?  Anyway, I
doubt that you can get through the MIT CS program today without
learning more than Scheme.  The intro to programming course will be
switching to Python soon, anyway.  Is that practical enough for you?

                --Levi