Russel Caldwell wrote:
After I read this it got me thinking  (dangerous, I know) and I'm wondering
that if this is the case then why would I have a connection during the CD
install but not after the install?

Because unless you specify nodetect on the CD kernel boot command line, the scripts on the CD detect and load the e100 driver.

Your system does this similar behavior only if:
1) the driver is built into the kernel (not as a module)
2) the module name is added to /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6

Last I checked, the Gentoo Handbook covered this topic pretty clearly. That is where I'm sure I became familiar with it.

--
Ritter