Studies has shown that the passenger next to the driver in the car actually
assists the driver.
He/she will notice potentially dangerous situations and alert the driver.
The conversation will also pause if the driver is performing an action which
requires a lot of attention, i.e. turning left at a light, passing other
vehicles, merging, etc.  The driver gets no such help, only a huge
distraction from someone on the other end of a cell phone (that person
simply has no idea what the driver is experiencing.)
Utah has a law against distracted driving - whether that involves a cell
phone, eating, or even dealing with children or even a spouse.  Arguing with
your spouse while driving is very dangerous, unless of course you need to
stay awake.  In that case, choose something that makes you both really
really mad!