* Corey Edwards [Thu, 23 Aug 2007 at 13:32 -0600]
> But not all ISPs are like that. My point is that saying "ISPs should
> never block anything" or "don't do anything to my Internet
> connection" (not necessarily what you're saying, but just an example),
> it irritates me. There *are* times when it is responsible for an ISP to
> block or filter traffic. I have cited two in other emails specific
> examples and I won't bore you by repeating them.

Must...bite...tongue...
Well, here goes. The two examples, worms and spams. It's been mentioned
about spams, it's an email, and should be delivered as such. It's not up
to the ISP to go snooping through all emails and deciding what is and
isn't spam! Granted, if the ISP offers an email service to it's
customers and includes spam filtering as part of that service then
that's just fine. But blocking torrents is more akin to me running my
own email server and the ISP sifting through all email transmitted
accross their networks and filtering 'spam' from and to my private server.
I think you'd agree this is bad practice. As for the worms thing, not so
clear on that one. My gut says "leave it alone" and let the compromised
computers reap the rewards of 'total' bandwidth throttling because
they're saturating the network. This isn't just about what the ISP
should do in my mind, I also think the ISP shouldn't be held
_responsible_ for keeping viruses off of everyones computers. That's the
job of the computer owner. If an ISP feels all altruistic and filters
worms without pissing anyone off, more power to them, I guess.

Von Fugal