On Thursday 20 September 2007, Dave Smith wrote:
> I'm surprised no one has mentioned Aspect Oriented Programming for
> debugging, which to me is a textbook no-brainer application. It operates
> (potentially) directly on the parse tree and should be ideal for
> removing/adding debugging code at build time (or even run time). Is it
> dead?

AOP is not dead. There are many projects to add AOP to several languages.
They include at least (from my recollection when I last read up on it) Lisp,
PHP, boo, Ruby, Python, javascript, and I believe even C++ --although code
weaving in a statically compiled language is a bit more difficult. I never
looked into Java or .net/mono, but I imagine it should be possible even if
not easy.

I have been itching for a good project to try my hand at AOP with...