On 1/7/08, Bryan Sant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Jan 3, 2008 10:02 PM, Jonathan Ellis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > in a diverse skill set.  (Even short term, I'm subversively using
> > Jython.  But officially it is a Java project. Shh.)
>
> How do you like Jython?

Better than Java. :)

I'm using Jython to provide a web front end to a Lucene index.  We're
deploying on HP-UX on Itanium (yeah, I know, but they didn't ask my
opinion) so CPython + PyLucene is a poor option since PyLucene is such
a bitch to build.  (I suspect that like most nontrivial OSS it [that
is, jcc, the primary pylucene dependency] will only build with gcc.
But since I don't even have the HP C++ compiler to test with, and it
takes forever to get our sysadmins to install anything, I can't say
for sure.)

The main downside is that 2.2 compatibility only gets you so far these
days in the Python world.  If you're developing something from
scratch, or you mainly want to leverage Java code instead of Python,
Jython is an excellent fit.  If you want to use CPython libraries or
frameworks then you will probably have to do some backporting.
Hanging out on #jython there is a lot of progress being made on this
front (django support is apparently mostly done in a branch) but I
don't really want to be a beta tester here.

I briefly considered JRuby instead since it can apparently run the
latest Rails just fine, but IMO Rails loses a lot of its value since
I'm mainly interested in interacting with Lucene rather than a
database via ActiveRecord.

So I ended up spending an hour working around CPython-isms in Spyce
and going with that.  Spyce has remained 2.2-compatible, so running it
with the stable Jython was relatively easy.

-Jonathan