On Mar 29, 2008, at 4:12, Dave Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

In the past, I have used /etc/hosts.[deny|allow] to secure my SSH server by restricting access to a limited number of IP addresses. This has worked very well for me over the past 3 or 4 years, but now I need to allow access to a non-enumerable set of client IP addresses, so I am considering alternate methods. The first method on my list is to require key-based authentication (no passwords). Secondly, I'm thinking about using an alternate port (ie, 2222 instead of 22) simply to ward off automated botnet logins.

Does anyone see a problem with this? Any other ideas?

With the latest versions of openssh, you can set some options by subnet. So what I do is only allow password authentication from my private and VPN subnets, and require keys for all other nets. This works pretty well. For emergencies I put a putty-compatible key on my web server behind a htaccess login that I can use if necessary.

Michael