On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 7:42 PM, Stuart Jansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  Universal health care isn't going to solve poverty, but it will help
>  prevent people falling deeper into the pit. I'm not saying that everyone
>  should get free cosmetic surgery, but I am saying that everyone should
>  be able to afford to see the doctor when they're sick. I'm not saying
>  the solution has to be 100% tax payer funded, but I am saying that the
>  time has come to make affordable health care available to 100% of legal
>  citizens. I believe we are capable of achieving a better solution than
>  any other large nation, but we aren't there now.

I'll probably catch a few flames for this, but I'd dare say that if
health care was not readily available to those who are not "legal
citizens" there would be fewer such around.  Let me get one thing
perfectly clear:  I have no problem with people who want to emigrate
to the US legally.  But I have very little sympathy for those who want
to come here illegally and exploit the system and our
generosity/humanity/whatever to receive care that they are not paying
for.

--
Alex Esplin