On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 11:03 AM, Gary Thornock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  I used to run my home firewall on a PC with FreeBSD, but, as you
>  found with Linux, the initial setup was non-trivial.
>
>  Currently I'm using pfSense on an old Pentium III box I had
>  sitting around.  I still get the benefits of pf, but with a web
>  based configuration tool (can be configured for HTTP or HTTPS).
>  The only feature I miss from my old setup is DansGuardian, and
>  I'm looking into packaging that for pfSense myself.

Kimball,

I suggest starting with pfSense as your platform and then determining
what you want to add(wireless bridge via PCI NIC, DMZ, hardware w/o
moving parts, etc.).  You could begin with some used hardware if you'd
prefer to pinch pennies.  If you are going to be using traffic shaping
with non-embedded hardware I suggest a 1GHz or better CPU with 512MB
of RAM, but my setup is overkill for running Vonage, BitTorrent, and a
few NAT'd  ports.

I've been using pfSense at home since 2005 and am still impressed.
Easy to setup traffic shaping(QoS) & realtime graphs, for example.  I
converted some traveling Asterisk trainers to pfSense as well.  I
currently have better uptime(140 days) than our redundant Cisco
routers at my day job, but I admit I sometimes unnecessarily upgrade.

Gary, lemme know when/if you package up DansGuardian for pfSense - it
would simplify my current setup.
--
Lars