+++ Lonnie Olson [22/05/08 12:01 -0600]:

> > I can connect to and log into the server just fine.  The session works great
> > as long as I am actively doing something in the shell.  However, if I let it
> > sit idle for (it seems) < 1 minute, the session seems to just lock up.
>
> Many consumer routers/DSL modems do not handle long running SSH
> connections well.  They sometimes tend to kill the connection
> prematurely.  You can experiment with the SSH options TCPKeepAlive,
> and ServerAlive in the client to see if you can avoid it.  However
> more often than not the problem is caused by the router itself.

Lonnie:

What then, about the design of so many routers, causes the connections,
whether ssh sessions or others to fail?

Scott

--
"If you can't afford Prevention now, how will you afford disease later?"

Sandy Chiropractic Office               Dr. Scott S. Jones

V: 801.566.5428                         MAILING ADDRESS
F: 801.858.9300                         PO Box 1154
E: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                    Sandy, Utah 84091-1154