On Thursday 19 June 2008, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> Voting for a non-viable candidate is a vote for voting reform.  It would
> be wonderful to have an election where the majority of voters choose a
> write-in candidate.  Even if none of the write-in candidates win, the
> voters would be sending the message that our current ballots are not
> expressive enough.

And, perhaps beating my own dead horse, but rounding back to the idea of
influencing the short-term result at the expense of long term progress
towards change, I can put it in simple CS terms: if you keep providing the
same inputs, why would you ever expect a different outcome? The only way to
get to a different destination is to change your direction, and the best time
to do so is now, not 'later'--otherwise you grow old and discover
that 'later' never came...  Voting with the mainstream strengthens the
mainstream. If you don't like the mainstream--don't vote for them--either one
of them. That is the only way in the current system to show that we really
want the direction to change, and the only real way to start doing it (short
of some sort of revolution by force).