Nicholas Leippe wrote:
> On Monday 03 November 2008 09:50:42 pm Merrill Oveson wrote:
>> Anybody out there have expertise in setting up Asterisk? or know of anyone?
>>
>> Please reply back asap, I need to hire someone to get a couple of
>> installations going.
>
> Have you looked at SipX? If there's an option, I would recommend it over
> asterisk.
> If you really want more asterisk-like, I would recommend freeswitch. It was
> written by one of the asterisk devs--the rewrite that the rest of the
> asterisk
> devs admit is necessary but aren't willing to do... and it can be a drop-in
> replacement.

I want a better asterisk or asterisk alternative as much as anyone, but
what level of maturity have these projects reached? For all its foibles
asterisk has been the best all-around VOIP solution in my experience, so
far. Have these other projects caught up with asterisk, maintained their
purity, gathered an enthusiastic and helpful user base, and gone through
the paces to work out the bugs and security issues? I'm not saying
asterisk is perfect, but as it had a considerable head start, in my mind
the burden of proof that any of these others are actually better is on
you/them. But I'm willing to be educated...

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

    -- Johann Sebastian Bach