On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 10:07 PM, Daniel C. <dcrooks...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone have any experience using f/os OCR packages?  I've used
> Google to try and find a few of them but my "This package is obsolete
> or otherwise won't work" meter blinks wildly at all the ones I've
> found.  (It may be broken, I'm not sure.)
>
> Thanks,
> Dan

I haven't used OCR on Linux in a while, but here are to candidates I found
that are available in Debian Etch. (yes, I haven't upgraded, *yet*).

gocr is a multi-platform OCR (Optical Character Recognition) program.

Clara OCR is intended for large scale digitalization projects. It features a
powerful GUI and a web interface for cooperative digitalization of books.

There was one that recognized bar codes too, but I don't recall the name.

Good luck!

Scott Edwards