By the way, my company created a Visio add-in to do the same thing, and after about 3 racks full of gear, Visio used over 1GB of RAM and ground to a halt. Needless to say, we aren't Visio experts, and I was only too happy to have a reason to ditch Visio.

We ended up rolling our own software with Qt, and it rocks.

All you data center monkeys out there: Would this sort of tool be useful to you? It lets you drag-and-drop equipment into racks, create custom equipment "stencils", cable stuff together, etc. It can produce lots of nice reports, like rack elevation documents and cable labels.

--Dave

William Attwood wrote:
Visio has 3rd party software you can use to lay out specific hardware in specific racks; down to the make and model of servers and other devices.

Google visio server stencils

Sent from my iPhone