On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 03:44:54PM -0600, Gabriel Gunderson wrote:
> PLUG,
>
> I'm looking for a document scanner to make digital copies of cabinets
> and cabinets full of old invoices.  I'm wondering if anyone knows of a
> good piece of hardware for this.  Of course, it would be best if it
> worked with Linux, but we are *not* holding our breath.

HP. I have a 7780 all-in-one and it does very nicely under Linux. Most
of the time, the drivers just fall into place. sane picks it up
automatically. HP maintains the drivers as open source and they are in
most disties.

> Also, it would be nice it had software that could read a printout and
> use OCR and save the new document using a given path and filename (or
> whatever).

Unfortunately, the OCR software that comes with HP scanners only works
on Windows. For OCR, see the recent discussion.