Charles Curley wrote:
> I have a data CD-ROM which has gone flakey, and the usual driver can't
> get all the files off of it. Is there anything out there that might
> recover a flaky CD?
>
> I know grip will do the same for audio CDs. Is there anything like it
> for data CDs?

I would try dd_rescue and make an image that you can mount

Sadly, though, I've found that burned CDs fail after a couple of years.
 Usually the dye fades, making the data unreadable.  Even if the die
still holds the data, I've lost many old CDs due to scratches on the
label side.

I'm not sure how DVDs last, since I don't use optical disks much
anymore.  But I know that there are longevity issues that have to do
with the dye used in the data layer, the durability of the foil on top
of that, etc.