On Tuesday 14 April 2009 11:37:46 Kimball Larsen wrote:
> There are 2 issues to deal with:
> a)  Zoom.  The new building is far enough away that it would appear
> too small on most run-of-the-mill webcams.
> b)  Distance from nearest linux box.  It is likely that we'll have to
> run a cable in excess of 50' to get from one of our always on linux
> servers (where I could set up some software to take the shots
> periodically) to the mount point for the camera.  Can usb go this far?
> (ok, 3 issues)
> c)  Software.  I am not at all familiar with what sorts of software
> are available for doing this sort of thing in linux.  Can anyone make
> any recommendations?

Yeah. A network camera from TrendNet. They also have outdoor enclosures to
protect them from the elements. Forget about USB. You can even forget about
ethernet if you get one that works over wifi. Just provide power. They can
write a JPEG file to a server every X minutes.

I have a couple of their lower-end models at home and they work great.

http://www.trendnet.com/products/products.asp?cat=147

--
Doran L. "Fozz" Barton <f...@iodynamics.com>
Open-source developer, sysadmin, consultant, and all-around geeky dude