On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 9:36 PM, Joshua Lutes <jos...@lutes.me> wrote:

> Hey everybody,
>
> I put together my own computer and installed Mythbuntu on it.  The
> problem I'm having is that the Ethernet port only sometimes is
> detected.  Rebooting takes care of the problem sometimes.  I am
> running Mythbuntu 8.04 since I couldn't get 8.10 to work properly with
> video output, but the Ethernet port always worked on it.  This makes
> me suspect that it is a software problem.  Any suggestions?  Thanks,
>
> Joshua.
>
> /*
> Don't fear the penguin.
> */

What's lspci -k  show?  I have a very temperamental  nic in a Debian box. I
elected to use an intel pci nic and ignore the onboard one.

Is this a hardware not detected (modules loaded) issue?  It's possible your
nic is working fine, but dhcp isn't always assigning the nic an address.
Have you configured any of your routers/switches/etc to use a fixed speed?
some Ethernet equipment stops advertising link capabilities (auto
negotiation) when one of the properties is manually configured.

Cheers,

Scott Edwards