On Apr 28, 2009, at 5:00 PM, Daniel C. wrote:

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 4:49 PM, Kimball Larsen
<kimb...@kimballlarsen.com> wrote:
Well, specifically, I'm trying to find a happy place for a Magento install.

This is a potential thread hijack, but what's so great about Magento
that it's worth finding a hosting solution specifically for the
software?  If it's worth the trouble, I want to learn about it.

Dan

I've used OSCommerce and ZenCart (an OSC derivative) for years. I've always been annoyed by how inflexible and fragile they are - as soon as you install a module to do something specific, the store become massively harder to upgrade.

Magento cures this, and adds the ability to host multiple websites and multiple stores on each website and multiple skins on each store. So, you can have a single catalog of products that are all sold through multiple outlets, and have it all tracked in one management backend. For us, this was the killer feature that Magento offers - we can now combine our 3 ZenCart stores into a single Magento install.

I'm not sure if other stores do this or not, but magento is very flexible, easy to modify safely, and fits our business need perfectly. It's just a resource hog.

-- Kimball