On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 05:06:22PM -0400, Jones, Scott (GE Money, consultant)
wrote:

> At the risk of sounding ignorant, what is the difference functionally
> between the uplink being plugged into the WAN port versus into one of
> the LAN ports?

Others have already answered your question.  However, I would also like
to point out that the differences are purely in software.  You can
modify the VLAN configuration to make the WAN just like all of the other
ports.  Alternatively, you could change one of the other ports to be a
DMZ.  It's very flexible.

--
Andrew McNabb
http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/