On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 13:25, Kyle Waters<u...@unum5.org> wrote:
>    There's a good reason most of us handle server administration with a
> dose of paranoia.  If you are casual about it you could put
> someone(including yourself) out of business.  So while the chance is
> small, why take it?  This is after all the money you use to feed your self.

Amen.  It's great to be able to say something bad "probably" didn't
happen, but that's a big ole fat "probably" (proportionate to the cost
of having it happen).  My motto has always been to be as paranoid as I
can afford to be.

If you'll definitely go out of business as a result of taking time to
re-install (for example) and you'll possibly lose a customer if you
don't and something bad happens, then the cost of reinstalling is
high.

OTOH, if you'll lose a customer by having _anything_ happen to their
data, and you'll lose some sleep or a day's work by reinstalling, you
can't afford not to reinstall.

Pick your location on the spectrum between.

--
Alex Esplin