Joseph Hall wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 10:46 PM, Andrew McNabb<amcn...@mcnabbs.org> wrote:
>> Alternatively, is there a good place to get one for cheap?  It turns out
>> that the terms are really hard to search for online, and the best I
>> could find was $25.
>
> I have a bunch of generic wall adapters that I keep around for just
> such a thing. There are places that sell adapters with switches on
> them that let you select the voltage, and connect different plugs in
> whatever polarity you need. Radio Shack has expensive ones, but one
> that I carry came from the hardware aisle at Walgreens and was dirt
> cheap (somewhere around $8, I think). You're welcome to borrow mine,
> but you might as well just go pick one up yourself.

Will that produce 3A, though?  Most adapters like that (including the
Radio Shack ones) are limited to 1A or less.

Personally, I would be tempted to instead use an old ATX power supply.
Just short the green wire to any black ground wire on the motherboard
connector, and you get enough 5V and 12V current for all sorts of projects.

Shane