I have an asus a8n-e board, which is socket 939 with an nforce4
chipset, with an athlon 64 x2 cpu.
Does anyone know by experience what the maximum ram supported would be?

Yes, I have the product manual, and yes, I've googled. A lot in fact.

I can find nowhere that definitively states the maximum ram an athlon
64 x2 in a socket 939 configuration supports (which is DDR1).
Some places say it's a limitation of the motherboard (eg they did not
use all the address lines or something--some Intel 815 chipset boards
were limited in this way iirc), yet others, (which I believe) state
it's up to the CPU because the memory controller is on the CPU.

There are some socket 939 motherboards that claim 8GB ram support
(several Tyans that I know of, some even up to 16GB).
Most say 4GB.
The Asus manual for the A8N-e claims up to 4GB (in 1GB modules).
In my experience, it is often true that motherboard manuals only claim
support for the maximum ram modules in production at the time of
writing--thus it very well might support 2GB modules.
I found no information in the nforce4 literature mentioning any ram
limitations for socket 939 support--only for the Intel variants (since
the memory controller is in the chipset for those).

Thus my question--does anyone know how much ram it might actually support?