I just got a new netbook. It comes w/ win7 starter, and I wanted to dual
boot with linux. So I used windows to shrink the partition by 40 Gb and
installed grub and a kernel in there as well as the starting of a gentoo
install.  But when I boot that kernel, it dies saying it could not mount
the root file system. I'm at a loss to figure it out. The partition is
/dev/sda4 with grub installed on (hd0). The partition is formatted as
XFS and I have XFS support compiled into the kernel (not module, built
in). I'm not using an init ram disk.

The kernel seems to see the disk as it shows four partitions when it
dies. I have no idea whats up.

Any help is appreciated. FYI the kernel's command line is:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31.6 root=/dev/sda4 ro

Thanks!!