Hi PLUG,

I'd like some suggestions for Unix/Linux software that does just a bit
more than our old standby, cron.  I'd like:

- A simple way to add new jobs (like cron)

- A complete report of what was run and when (cron doesn't do this)

- An email even if the job takes a long time (cron apparently doesn't
send email if the job takes more than 5 minutes)

- A way to disable jobs temporarily

I want to run long jobs such as mysqldump and rsync from VPSs to a
backup drive.  Maybe someone has already written a different version of
cron that does these things.  Thoughts?

(I have played with various backup programs designed for archiving on
tape, but I use rdiff-backup, not tape; the programs designed for tape
seem too obtuse to be useful.  I just want to run trivial scripts.)

Shane