I made a suggestion to the debian-devel mailing list to change the
default umask from '0022' to '0002' seeing as though Debian GNU/Linux is
using user private groups (UPG) [1].

A couple days later, after much discussion and at the request of one of
the developers, I reported bug 581413 [2]. It generated a bit more
discussion, especially how it would impact NIS/NIS+ implementations, and
how to make note of such in the release notes for Squeeze.

I just now received an email that this bug has been fixed in the
base-files package, version 5.4 [3].

There are a couple news-worthy items to take note:
1) It will be in Squeeze.
2) It will likely be implemented into Ubuntu and family.

This is very good news. Just thought I'd share for those using
Debian/Ubuntu.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2010/05/msg00252.html
[3] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=581434#25

--