On 06/16/2010 07:41 PM, Gary Thornock wrote:
> --- On Wed, 6/16/10, David Landry <dlan...@byu.net> wrote:
>>
>> I'm looking for a local supplier for discrete electronics like
>> capacitors, resistors, etc, and maybe something more fancy
>> like a microcontroller.  I was just wondering if any of the
>> places mentioned might have something along those lines.  The
>> only shop I know for sure that has some of what I'd want is
>> RadioShack, but they've got crazy high prices for electronics.
>
> That's the sort of thing I'd look for at Central Utah Electronics
> (735 South State in Provo, www.utahelectronics.com).

Thanks for the pointer.  If you need really esoteric stuff it is
Ballards in Salt Lake City (all the professional electronics
shops at the U of U and SLU and other shops doing custom stuff
in the Salt Lake Valley use them):

http://www.kellysearch.com/us-company-350027967.html

I assume the security of WPA isn't enough for what ever you
are intending to do or it just didn't work.  If what you have
is temporary (ie - going to school / renting) you are probably
better off with wireless unless it is the LAN itself that will
be hammered.  Even Comcast is far less than what a wireless
LAN will carry.

Basically, you are limited to 200 meters and if you want to go
any farther use fiber.  They used to have the old AUI thick
coax going from the MEB down to the Physics and Math buildings
at the U of U with special repeaters built all along the way.
All the repeaters were custom built with stuff from Ballards.
I was one of those that helped put together the HP OpenView
controlled management system for the FDDI ring for the U of U.
Bye bye thick coax.  It was still being used when I arrived
and was finally phased out.  It was part of the DARPA stuff
and GRUB was also created at the U of U.

The only thing that is coming to my mind in the original thread
is where is the cable going and how far will it go?  Rather than
dangling it all over the place I would feel better with it
underground in a PVC pipe but remember that you can only stretch
the thing to go so far.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_5_cable

Just make sure where the PVC comes out of the ground isn't
easily broken and goes above high water flood level before you
end the pipe. I would cap if off some way so bugs don't crawl
in it with only the line (that is SINGULAR, not plural!) coming
out, preferably after it enters a building if that is what you
are doing.  If you do it right with more elongated els you could
use the cat5 to pull fiber later on if the price ever comes down.
After twenty plus years I don't think that is ever going to
happen.

HHH
PS Also don't tightly bundle lots of ethernet cables coming out
   of a switch or router to make them LOOK NEAT.  Fiber doesn't
   have that limitation.