On 06/22/2010 03:49 PM, Charles Curley wrote:
> I've just upgraded my four year old lenovo R51 laptop from Ubuntu Komic
> Koala to Ludicrous Lynx. In the process, the menu option to hibernate
> has gone away. It didn't work under Komic Koala, but this is not the
> solution I was expecting.
>
> How do I get it back so I can see if it works?

Hmm, haven't all the hibernating creatures in the northern hemisphere
come out of hibernation?  Seriously, it works for me but I am using
not a laptop but a desktop machine with an MSI board, hardly something
needing it.  I am still searching for whether it is in the Gnome config
files but so far - blank.  I will let you know if I find it.  It has
to be there some place, but so far I have only looked at my files
and it is probably in the sys files.  We are talking Gnome rather than
KDE, correct?

All I want is for the screen saver to lock the screen when it starts
while I am gone.  It does that.  It also handles my ASUS monitor which
is why after not getting the res right I dumped 9.10 and went to
10.04 LTS.  In fact it does wonderful with everything except those
PCI parallel boards which I am still fighting.  I also have the HP
JetDirect card but I would like to find which filter works with the
HP-LJ-4P printer first.  I finally gave up on OpenSuse 11.2 ever
finding the right filter.  Once I have that I can probably make it
work with the LPR protocol via the JetDirect but if I do that it
will never work with Windows - who cares?  I am almost never running
Windows.  Unfortunately, the PCI parallel cards DO work with
Windows. So did the USB ---> Parallel cable and Linux didn't know
what to do with that either.  It would be nice to have something
that works with BOTH.

I haven't installed DesktopBSD yet, but I would much prefer GRUB 1
where I can just go stick in the line I want.  GRUB 2 is over-kill.
I did change the /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+ with a chmod 644 to get
rid of those silly memtest options.  Oh yes, I do defeat the sudo
way of doing things by just starting an xterm with sudo. So far,
init  has never killed it and I have had it running for almost a
week.  I figure if it hasn't killed it by then it is not going to.
Now you know why I want to lock my screen when I walk away!  Yes,
I do need a root xterm hanging around all the time for what I do,
and yes, I know how to handle it.

I do advise changing your $PATH from:

export PATH=${HOME}/bin:${PATH}

to:

export PATH=${PATH}:${HOME}/bin

I have no idea what they are thinking there.  If you need to
over-ride something in /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin put
it into /usr/local/bin or /usr/local/sbin and put those first
in the $PATH.  But IF the trojans ever come to Linux (I am
beginning to think it will never happen), replacing the system
ls, ps, et al with ones in your ${HOME}/bin can be done without
you even knowing it was done. I have done it.  Are you sure you
want both Java and JavaScript enabled all the time in Firefox?
Are you sure you don't want to run Firefox without NoScript?
The University of Utah Mathematics department mandates Firefox
only and NoScript on all operating systems.

HHH