On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 12:47 PM, Wade Preston Shearer
<wadeshearer.li...@me.com> wrote:
> Two different BestBuy associates have now told me that HDMI is the only way
> to have 1080p. Wikipedia says that component supports 1080p. Are these
> associates simply trying to sell HDMI cables?

What exactly were you asking about 1080p?  What sort of devices do you
expect to be generating a 1080p signal, and what do you want to have
receive it?

No OTA ATSC signals are being broadcast in 1080p.  There's not really
enough bandwidth in an ATSC channel to get a good 1080p picture in an
MPEG-2 stream, and the standard only recently allowed MPEG-4 streams.

There may be some cable channels in 1080p; these use QAM rather than
ATSC, which uses less error checking and thus has roughly twice the
bandwidth per channel.  I don't really know, but cable/satellite
companies generally cram more signals into a channel rather than using
fewer high-quality signals.

If you're talking BluRay, 1080p over component cables is right out due
to content protection/licensing issues.  But video originating at
1080p24, like film content, has information in its headers that allows
a trivial deinterlacing when it is transmitted at 1080i60, so it could
look exactly the same on your screen if the TV doesn't screw it up.

If you're talking game systems, I think they do support 1080p over component.

The other end is the TV, and whether it will do 1080p through its
component ports, and whether your component cables are of sufficient
quality to support the signal.

        --Levi