On 08/12/2010 12:50 AM, Michael Torrie wrote:
On 08/12/2010 12:21 AM, Bryan Thomas wrote:
out of curiosity, why do you say that they all suck?  what would make
them better?
If you never had to worry about batteries, charging circuits, inverter
circuits, relays, etc.

In the few APC units I manage, we end up replacing failed batteries
every two years, on average.  everything else on the APC units, even the
older ones, seems to work fine, though.

Even (especially?) professional level UPS' (350 KVA, multiple cabinets of batteries, etc) have to have the batteries changed out every 2-3 years, as any longer than that and your failure rate is way to high to depend on. It is the nature of batteries.

We usually swap out a third of the cabinets each year, so they are all on a three year rotation with only a third at any time being 2-3 years old.

Having said that, I tend to ignore my home UPS' until they fail during a power outage, then go buy another battery.

-Steve