> "dual-headedly", now that's a new word. :-)

I was hoping someone would notice.    :]

> The magic term you're looking for is randr (or xrandr).

Yes, this looks like the sort of thing I was hoping you guys would point me
to.  Much obliged.

I too have a /usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d with various files that include
"catchall" identifiers for this and that.  I don't have an
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d, but it sounds like that clobbers everything anyway.
Unfortunate, since that's where I'd first be inclined to put it.  Anyway,
thanks for the pointers, and I'll play around with xrandr and where the
configs ought to go.

- Brett