On 08 Nov 2010, at 16:27, Charles Curley wrote:

> Learning to Program
>
> I got a query from a new Linux user who wants to learn computer
> programming. Linux is an excellent choice for this, because there are a
> huge number of programming languages available for it....and all free.
> The risk is in becoming overwhelmed by the choices available.
>
> There's a good chance that your Linux PC will have most of the
> following already installed. If not, they should be available from your
> repository. (Links are to Wikipedia.)
>
> http://www.goodbyemicrosoft.net/news.php?item.608.2
>
> Apropos the recent discussion.

That is a good list, which also reminds me that I was going to pick one to put
my eight year old on.  Probably one that I also have not learned yet so that we
can learn it together.  Lisp could be fun to look at again, I have always
wanted to get more into TCL, Ruby sounds interesting.  Any suggestions for a
very first language for a child?  Maybe I will just drop C on him.