On Fri, Dec 03, 2010 at 02:48:43PM -0700, Levi Pearson wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 1:50 PM, Nicholas Leippe <n...@leippe.com> wrote:
> >
> > I find it a very similar tale reading through Miles Mathis works on
> > physics and the state of the current physics community.
> > He's an artist w/a degree in philosophy--coming at it sideways.
> > http://milesmathis.com/
>
> I just want to point out that just because someone makes an argument
> that looks reasonable at first glance doesn't mean they're right.
> Sure, every once in a while, someone who attempts to refute the status
> quo is right, but there are a lot of people trying and most of them
> are wrong.
>
> And the idea that some random artist dude has discovered some insight
> that undermines the foundation of the current mathematic and physics
> community is absurd on its face, and although I admit that it's
> possible that such a thing could happen, it would require some
> extraordinary evidence to get me to believe it.  It looks like
> standard crankery in the form of unusually well-crafted sentences to
> me, though.

Yeah, this guy is really, really confused.  His recurring theme is that
"you cannot assign a counting number to a point" (in bold print):

http://milesmathis.com/are.html

He uses this over and over again to claim that everything is wrong.
Unfortunately, the argument doesn't make any sense.  This guy seems to
have run across Euclid's Elements and thinks that this book is the
foundation of modern mathematics.  He found the (weak) definition
stating that "a point is that which has no part".  Mathis then gets
really confused about "graphs" and writes thousands of pages criticizing
all of physics and math.  This stuff really doesn't make any sense.

Although it's hard to point out errors in the incomprehensible portions
of his reading, if you jump to something more concrete like his
complaint about finding the derivative of ln(x), the errors are obvious:

http://milesmathis.com/ln.html

Anyway, I feel bad for the guy, as Levi put it: "Just because someone

--
Andrew McNabb
http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/