I recently decided to try Qwest's new FTTN service. For those of you that know
me, you know I'm very fair and try to be honest. Here is what happened:

- I called Qwest and worked out all the details regarding their 20Mbps FTTN
service. They assured me that there was a 30 day money back guarantee. All
sounded great, and they were very helpful.

- The morning of installation the service appeared to operate normally. 60ms
to plug.org, full 20Mbps. w00t. Install happened in the morning.

- That night, round-trips started peaking in the 300ms range. Total throughput
to the Salt Lake Qwest bandwidth testing tool fell to less than 4Mbps.

- For the week that followed (exactly 7 days) round-trip times would become
very high in the evenings around 5pm. Bandwidth was terrible. It wouldn't
improve until after midnight.

- I called Qwest to resolve the situation. The tech, after having me reset the
modem and do all the normal troubleshooting, said something along the lines of
"Well, Ryan, I have to admit something. It turns out there is a known problem
with congestion in your area, and there has been for about a month. It will be
fixed in [two months]." The actual date was really two months away. There was
no offer made to correct the bill or handle the situation. This is something
they knew was a problem, yet still decided to sell me a service they couldn't
properly deliver.

- I canceled the service the next morning with Qwest billing. The billing rep
made no attempt to adjust the bill. When I explained the reason I was
canceling was due to network congestion, she kind of gave that "ohhh" sound
like she had heard it before.

- I got a bill a week later for $80. I called Qwest and explained I expected
to pay nothing due to the fact I had the service less than 30 days, and that
there was a refund promised. Billing said to wait, it would work itself out
and I would get the adjustment notice in a few weeks.

- Three weeks later, I got a bill from a collection agency (ERS). Qwest wanted
$64 from me. This just got a lot more aggravating.

When dealing with Qwest, caveat emptor!

</rant>
-Ryan