On 04/26/2011 08:43 PM, Tod Hansmann wrote:
> On 4/26/2011 8:38 PM, Alan Young wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 17:23, Henry Paul<he...@paulfam.com>   wrote:
>>> Perhaps the police would not be able to break the encryption, but what
>>> is to stop them from simply obtaining a court order to compel you to
>>> unlock the drive for them?
>> Short of torture and/or truth serum, how would they compel me to
>> divulge the password?
> I agree.  Even if they had reason to believe there would be
> incriminating evidence on said drive, wouldn't this fall under pleading
> the fifth?  Also, if you just refuse, and they lack any other evidence,
> their case goes away, even if you aren't cooperative.  I wonder if
> they'd throw that under a different charge or something, though.
> Probably a lot of ways around this one.  Legal tricksies and all.
>
> -Tod Hansmann
>
> /*
> Don't fear the penguin.
> */
Maybe I don't have a proper understanding of the 5th Amendment, but my
understanding is it is to protect you from providing self-incriminating
testimony, not self-incriminating evidence. Maybe it's the digital vs.
tangible argument again perhaps, but in a murder trial I doubt you would
be able to deny an order to hand over blood-soaked clothes under the
protection of the 5th.

--Henry