On 05/05/2011 05:18 PM, S. Dale Morrey wrote:
> On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 4:34 PM, Robert Merrill<robertmerr...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 1:18 AM, S. Dale Morrey<sdalemor...@gmail.com>  wrote
>>> According to the news Overstock is looking for some of those Novell
>>> Developers too.
>> Oh Gee. I just hope that wasn't front-page news. Personally, good for
>> them playing on the Novell news to get a free job posting out there. I
>> would have tried the same thing. They have been doing everything they
>> can to attract our Java engineers for months now. They didn't put up
>> billboards on both sides of our exit and open an office right NEXT
>> DOOR to us by coincidence four months ago :)
>>
>> Just for fun, Goog says it would take approximately 35 seconds to
>> drive there from Novell: http://bit.ly/iBndTS
>>
>>> Maybe the economy doesn't suck as bad as I thought it did.
>> Let's HOPE not!
> I guess it just shows what I know, I had the general impression that
> Novell didn't care about Java&  was only concerned with Mono.  Mind if
> I ask what a Java engineer does/did at Novell?
>
> /*
> Don't fear the penguin.
> */
 From what I have seen in regards to salaries over the last few years, I
think Java has remained much more relevant than .NET has to the
industry. Maybe part of that has been the emphasis on such simplified
software development that crappy apps can be cranked out much faster now.

In fact a senior Java developer currently can make 2x what I do as a
senior systems admin. Yikes. Almost makes me wish I had gone into Java
development right out of school.

-Henry