>>> And every time we've made that assumption, it's been wrong wrong wrong.
>> For those that haven't met Jake: you should know that he's an Astronomy
>> PhD in all but sheepskin. (It's my fault he's not Doctor Jake, but
>> that's a story for another day.) When he tosses out a statement like
>> this, it carries more weight than you think.
> In my academic group of friends, this is lovely referred to as "ABD".
>
> All But Dissertation.
>
> I do have a Master's degree however, so all are free to refer to me as:
> "Master Jake" or if you prefer, just "The Master".
>
> /*
> Don't fear the penguin.
> */

If the fear of being wrong deters us from searching for truth then it
probably not the truth we are seeking, but the acceptance of our peers
we value most. I like to look under improbable rocks for fun. All the
same it is good to know that there are several centuries of documented
failures searching for what may not and probably is not a valid
assumption on my part.