On 7/6/2011 11:24 AM, Merrill Oveson wrote:
> A user got this error:
>
>     Error validating server certficate for https://www.ourserver.com:443:
>       Unknown certificate issuer.
>       Fingerprint: XX:XX:XX.......
This fingerprint is the same style of fingerprint you might find in an
ssh key when you accept it for the first time.  It's just a loose hash
of the key, so you can see if it's way off from what you're expecting.
Think of it like an md5 hash of a file.
>       Distinguished name:<numbers>,
> http://certificates.godaddy.com/repository, GoDaddy.com
>
> Then there's "Accept permanently" "Accept once" "Reject"
>
> If the user clicks "Accept permanently" everything works and no more warning."
>
> What does this mean exactly?  Is the fingerprint stored somewhere on the
> server?

The fingerprint is generated, I believe, by the client, off the key.
I'm guessing there.  However, the accept permanently is really just
saying "Look, I trust this server, even though you can't authenticate
their certificate with an authority we trust.  Just remember that I
trust this cert forever."  Then it never bothers you until the cert/key
changes.

-Tod Hansmann