On Sep 16, 2011 6:19 AM, "Charles Curley" <charlescur...@charlescurley.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 04:27:32 -0600
> "S. Dale Morrey" <sdalemor...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Today I had to edit a word file that had been exported to ODT to
> > update documentation for a project I am working on.
> > In the process it launched Libre Office.
> > This software feels bloated and heavy.  It takes a little over a
> > minute to launch and sometimes seconds will pass between the time I
> > type something and the time it appears on the screen.
>
> Try AbiWord, available in the Ubuntu repos.
>

> --
>
> Charles Curley                  /"\    ASCII Ribbon Campaign
> Looking for fine software       \ /    Respect for open standards
> and/or writing?                  X     No HTML/RTF in email
> http://www.charlescurley.com    / \    No M$ Word docs in email
>
> Key fingerprint = CE5C 6645 A45A 64E4 94C0  809C FFF6 4C48 4ECD DFDB
>
> /*
> Don't fear the penguin.
> */

There is also an entire office suite for KDE. Of course it doesn't have ll
the feautures of Open or Libre Office but I'm sure it handles ODT. Ubuntu
should automatically include the needed KDE libraries. I forget the name
(maybe koffice).  Let me know if youneed more info on it and I can look it
up when I am on the desktop.

- Ed Felt