On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 12:19 PM, AJ ONeal <coola...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to add a dns record to a laptop without editing /etc/hosts
>
> Can anyone point me to an example of the XML document(s) to send to which
> udp port(s) to accomplish this?
>
> Having it work on Linux and Mac would be a great start. I'd also like it to
> work on Windows.

By 'add a dns record to a laptop' do you mean that you want it to be
able to resolve the name of another machine, or do you mean that you
want it to respond to mDNS (zeroconf) requests for its own name?

Either way, I can't think of any method that involves sending XML to
udp ports, although I suppose there might be some Zeroconf daemon that
could be configured that way.

I could probably give some suggestions about how to accomplish what
you would like to accomplish, but you'll have to be a little bit more
clear about what you are trying to do first.

        --Levi