On Mon, 16 Apr 2012, Jason Hall wrote:

Perl:  Well, I've been looking at this.  It's still good, but it's still the old CGI model.  There's progress with PSGI, but it's all very experimental, or if not considered such, doesn't work with Apache at all (or is just a veneer over CGI/FastCGI).  mod_psgi is... less than mature.  So I guess if I'm going back to CGI, I'm fine, but that's not "the modern way", is it?  Maybe this is stable/mature for Perl?  I've never been part of Perl culture, so I don't know.

wait, what? old CGI model?

This is Perl, there are more web frameworks than you can shake a stick at. Ones that are truly perlish, others that are clones of whatever flavor you like from any other language. And most all plug into mod_perl if you want apache for the most powerful combination you can get. nginex and others work as well.

Whether you want a modern kitchen sink tool like Catalyst, embedded code like Mason, toolkits like CGI::Ex. There is a wide variety of very mature options.

Yes, and Plack/PSGI are not experimental or new. They work well with Apache, lighttpd, or nginx, using standard HTTP proxying to a daemon running in Starman or Twiggy:

http://search.cpan.org/perldoc?Starman
http://search.cpan.org/perldoc?Twiggy

Aside from what Jayce mentioned, for getting started quickly and keeping it relatively simple, Dancer and Mojolicious are very popular and well-supported:

http://perldancer.org/
http://mojolicio.us/

IMHO there's nothing wrong with writing CGIs for truly lightweight stuff you don't want a daemon for, but I wouldn't use the old core CGI modules for new code.

Jon

--
Jon Jensen
End Point Corporation