On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 11:40 PM, Jonathan Duncan
<jonat...@bluesunhosting.com> wrote:

> On 16 Sep 2012, at 23:33, Ryan Byrd wrote:
>
>>> Why would ANYONE in their right mind pay you to lower the quality of
>>> entertainment and make it slower to access?
>>
>> Maybe the point is that people have hordes of DVDs and it's less convenient
>> to fumble through stacks of them then it would be to pull up a flick on
>> your PC? Maybe it would be nice to be able to access your DVDs from your
>> laptop when you're on the road (assuming you're not a techie, of course,
>> and could do this yourself)? Maybe his company allows streaming to mobile
>> devices, so you could watch your DVD on your smartphone (probably not, but
>> let's give him the benefit of the doubt.)
>>

> In fact, this is what I have been hoping Netflix and other streaming media
> services would become.  When I do actually purchase physical media, it is
> quickly ripped and then stored in the dungeon, never to be handled again.  My
> brother and I have looked for ways to share our movies with each other as
> well as with family and friends.  We have a fairly decent ad hoc media
> sharing service, but just between family.  I look forward to the day when all
> media is readily accessible for a reasonable monthly service fee or a one
> time fee per media title.

^^^ this.

I have been thinking for years that it would be really nice to have a
service that would cache EAC-flac-ripped CD content. Then when I go to
rip a CD I can prove is in my physical possession (perhaps an MD5
challenge computed against a random set of sectors), instead I could
skip ripping, encoding, and uploading, and just immediately have that
content available to my account to download/stream/whatever, from
wherever.

This would be especially valuable if my CD has scratches--so long as I
can pass the possession challenge I could get a good flac rip from
someone else's unscathed CD rather than have to laboriously,
repeatedly polish and then rip with EAC until I get all the bits off
it.

Furthermore, a recent startup attempted to create a flat-rate license
model service, but ultimately failed. They had $100s of millions in
funding, but ultimately could not get all the contracts from the major
content producers. It was a *massive* legal undertaking (not to
mention a large, but doable technical challenge). Their plan was to
get into all the phones where they could simply roll the one-time fee
into the service's amortized plan, and have a PC client w/a flat fee,
both would provide access to the *entire* world's music catalog for
the lifetime of the device. The numbers worked--it would have been
profitable. It's really too bad it didn't work out.