On 10/07/2012 08:52 PM, Michael Torrie wrote:
>> Another option is to use an 12->120v inverter and then use a computer
>> power supply. ATX, for example, has +/- 12 volt outputs:
>> http://jwenet.net/notebook/2005/1161.html
>
> Hmm, sounds complicated.
>
> Will give it some thought.

Actually there are DC-DC computer power supplies available that supply
+/- 12V, +/- 5V.  However these, and indeed all computer power supplies,
are switching power supplies and they need a load to even come on.  So
they won't really work for my needs.  I've used computer power supplies
before for other purposes, and I had to put a big resister across one of
the 12V lines to load it enough to even come on.

Ironically, about 10 minutes of coding on an Arduino could control an
actuator quite easily, with a switch and a couple of relays.

But try as I might I cannot get good info on doing what, a couple of
decades ago, was common place electronics.