On Mar 25, 2013, at 4:52 PM, Ryan Moore <panicla...@gmail.com> wrote:

> A query to the community:is it a general feeling among pluggers that a
> strong resume is a handicap for job applicants in back end or systems
> administration fields? How mutually exclusive do you think "word
> processing" or "resume" type skills are with programming ability?

It has been said: "you don't get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate."

It's not the social ideal, but in American business, it's true. Therefore, my
recommendation is to craft your resume in the manner that will speak best to
the intended audience.

Of course, I would never tell a candidate to show up to an interview dressed
like they just rolled out of bed, but it is the case that at Fusion-io, we have
hired people who came to their half-day technical deep dive interviews in a
T-shirt (preferably a geeky one or at least black) and flip-flops and shorts.
Truth is: if you can code, and get along with our team, how you dress is the
last thing I care about.

Likewise, your resume is for the HR people, not the programmers. For Me, i
don't honestly care what your resume says as long as we get the information we
need somehow.