On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 12:15 PM, Charles Curley
<charlescur...@charlescurley.com> wrote:
> Hear, hear! Quite right. Linux is about choice. You can be bleeding
> edge or conservative; either way Linux will accommodate you. But with
> choice comes responsibility: the responsibility to know what's out
> there (or know someone who does :-) and know what you want.

Well said.

> I look at Fedora as a test bed for Red Hat

I'm going to have to disagree with you somewhat on this point.  While
Fedora certainly is a major upstream community for RHEL, I think
dismissing Fedora as simply a "test bed for Red Hat" discounts both
the effort that the Fedora community puts into building the
distribution, and discounts Fedora *the community* as well.  (I know
it's confusing because we use the word Fedora to represent both the
community and the distro.)

If Fedora (as a distro) were simply trying to be a test bed or beta
platform for RHEL, it would be focused on figuring out what Red Hat
wants to be in its next version, and it's community would simply be a
Red Hat focused community. If anything, things are just about the
polar opposite -- Fedora community members (including some Red Hat
employees) work on what they thinks is best for the next version of
.Fedora.

Of course, the rest of the story is that every three or four Fedora
releases, some Red Hat engineers pick and choose which of those things
they would like in the next version of RHEL, add a bunch of
enterprisey doodads that Fedora isn't really interested in, does a
bunch of its own internal testing as well as public betas, and creates
something called RHEL.

So instead of seeing Fedora as a test bed for RHEL, I see RHEL as the
boring old stuff from two or three versions back of Fedora.  I realize
that it's a subtle difference, but it's an important difference.

--
Jared Smith