On Apr 17, 2013, at 4:44 PM, Lonnie Olson wrote:

> 3. Some are minimums provided for everyone equally: School, Trash pickup
> and possibly others.

Many localities now outsource to private companies for trash pickup, so your
category has gotten me thinking about the potential for outsourcing other
things (like schools) as well, which is kind of what the charter schools are
doing, maybe, but could private do it better, for less money?  probably.  This
invites more thought, way off topic, etc, etc, but the idea is interesting.

> CenturyLink and Comcast have been granted legal monopolies on this due
> to this historical difficulty, and the previous inabilities to share
> this infrastructure with competitors.

Actually, the Time Warner / AOL merger years ago had the stipulation that they
had to allow other ISPs to use their network like UTOPIA does.  It worked, but
was a pain in the butt, and expensive, and most ISPs didn't care or even want
to be in bed with the cable companies, so it kind of fizzled, especially when
the cable company offered triple play type packages, and the small guys
couldn't compete with it.