Alfresco Web Quick Start can take the documents, convert them to HTML, and post
them in a folder with a search interface. He can continue to maintain the
documents in Word, and it will keep the HTML transforms up-to-date.

This type of solution takes some work to setup, but once it is there it is nice
to use.

Richard