On 04/27/2013 11:12 PM, S. Dale Morrey wrote:
> Also does anyone know what the optimum run length of fiber (single mode)
> without repeaters is and if there is any advantage to a long run of fiber
> vs using microwaves?

Microwave can be a good secondary connection or temporary link for a
fiber segment under construction/maintenance.  Microwave is fairly easy
to install, especially if you can contract to get on existing towers.
But weather, foliage, and interference from other transmitters on the
same band (legal or not) will cause you difficulties.  A large wireless
network I once worked with had it's biggest problems with wind blowing
the antennas off alignment.  Your problems would likely be more with
high humidity and trees getting into your line of sight.

When troubleshooting loss on a microwave link, it's often necessary to
send someone out to check the line of site.  Not that fiber doesn't have
it's own set of problems.  For instance, fiber is allergic to backhoes.
It's easier to see where your obstruction is with microwave.  A break or
occlusion in a fiber is more difficult to find, and you'd most likely
end up switching to another pair or rerunning a segment.