First, let's say thanks to Matt for providing more employment
opportunities for us. We are good at the technical aspect, but most of
us are not so good at business.  We need to be thankful for the people
that are good at business and remember that we need them as much as
they need us. Perhaps we need them even more, because without us they
would find another business avenue, but without thriving businesses
our skills would not be worth much.

Matt - did a guy with 10+ years of C experience seriously could not
reverse a string, and you've met more than one? Was he bad at
interviewing, did you try putting him in the corner with a text editor
and a compiler to see if he could do it?

Let me see if I can do it while thinking in e-mail mode:

int str_rev(char* s)
{
   char* s_end;
   char tmp;

   if (!s) return -1;

   s_end = s + strlen(s) - 1;

   for (; s < s_end; s++, s_end--)
   {
      tmp = *s;
      *s = *s_end;
      *s_end = tmp;
   }

   return 0;
}

Ok, for a fun challenge, assuming the above actually compiles and runs
without a bug, can somebody make it go faster and prove that it is
indeed faster with a benchmark? Let's say that we compile the above
with -O3 and you get to compile your code with -O3 as well.

Now for a really fun challenge, can you make a Java version that is
faster than the above and prove that it is? BTW, I do not know how.

--
Sasha Pachev

Fast Running Blog.
http://fastrunningblog.com