On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 6:10 PM, Tod Hansmann <plug....@todandlorna.com> wrote:

> On 10/4/2013 12:36 PM, Barry Roberts wrote:
>>
>> I'm going to start playing with asterisk and Google Voice just to get back
>> into it (I haven't used asterisk for 5+ years), but I'm just wondering
>> what
>> the experts have to say.  For a VOIP pbx at home, what would or did you
>> do?
>>
> I wouldn't use asterisk, for starters.  FreeSWITCH is technically superior
> if not simple and easy to learn (it still lags behind on documentation and
> community support a bit, but people are great help and friendly if you don't
> want your hand held).

Yeah.  That's what I hear, but there are binary packages of asterisk
for raspberry pi.  I'm not sure my needs are complex enough to justify
a 5-hour build on a pi or setting up a cross-compiler.  I'll play with
it on my desktop and see if the difference is enough to warrant the
build.

> Second, Google Voice is nice and all, but it is not a standard API and they
> break every once in a while.  Even getting it to work in the first place is
> technically a hack as you might find out if you go down that path.  You'll
> learn more and have more flexibility with a simple SIP trunk.  I use
> Flowroute at work for this and you can get a DID for a couple bucks +
> minutes used per month.  There are several others out there with similar
> cheap-as-all-get pricing.

I'm not planning on switching to Google Voice, but that's one I can
use now and experiment with because my family doesn't depend on it.
I'm looking at SIP providers because I'm pretty sure my current
provider will jack the price way up if I want to use my own device.

> Basically my entire reasoning here is that after working with both (and some
> proprietary systems) in both large and small environments, Asterisk seems
> very much like a shoe-horning of what I want to have happen into their
> system so that it looks like it happens that way. With FreeSWITCH, it's
> literally a connection/session starts, and I do things with it and other
> sessions.  Obviously that flexibility requires some understanding on my
> part, but you said you want to play with a phone system, not setup a
> computer to receive calls.

I'll definitely check out FreeSwitch.

If you were getting hardware for your house, what would you get?

Thanks,
Barry